HealthierUS School Challenge Application
To access the HUSSC interactive application forms below, you must have at least version 9 of the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. Click here to download and install this free program.
Please download and save the Application of choice to your computer before opening it, following one of the downloading instructions on this page.
Instructions for Downloading Forms in Internet Explorer
Another way to download is:
- Move your pointer to the appropriate form you want and “click” to open the document.
- Move your pointer up to the top menu bar and click on "File".
- Move your pointer down to "Save As" or "Save Page As" and save your document where you want on your hard drive.
- Move your pointer to the appropriate form you want to download, but do not click.
- Press your right button on your mouse and you will get a little menu.
- Move your pointer down to "Save Target As" or "Save Link As" and save your document where you want on your hard drive.
Tips for Completing Application:
- If needed, provide application details and special circumstances in a Cover Letter (optional).
- You can submit your application two ways:
- Submit the application and supporting documentation in a 3-ring binder to your State Child Nutrition Agency.
- Submit the application and supporting documentation electronically.
- When more space is needed to provide information, schools can attach a separate document with this information.
- Multiple schools can apply under the same district application when all of the following apply:
- The same menu and same foods were served throughout the district. The district can submit:
- One set of consecutive two-week breakfast and lunch menus (for example, a school could send the one week that is sent to the State Agency for certification and an additional week of menus)
- One set of Lunch Certification Worksheets for the two-week period
- Breakfast and lunch whole grain documentation, and
- If there are multiple age/grade groups, a Lunch Certification Worksheet for each age/grade group.
Note: Simplified Nutrient Assessments are not needed.
- The same nutrition education, physical education, and physical activities are provided or offered (according to the grade level).
- The same competitive foods and beverages were sold throughout the cafeteria and/or school campus. Submit:
- One Competitive Foods Worksheet with a listing of foods available, and
- One set of supporting documentation.
- Each individual school follows the district's wellness policy.
In addition, each school must submit an individual School Wellness Policy Worksheet (if applicable) and complete the Other Criteria for Excellence Checklist, which are both included in the online application. If a district finds that their schools have the same menu with corresponding foods served, but has different nutrition education, physical education, physical activities, competitive foods, or wellness policies, they can still apply as a district, but must make note of those items that differ among the schools and submit additional documentation for those schools with the district application.
Each District should submit an Application Cover Sheet reflecting the name of the District with a completed
District School List form (DOC | 20 KB), NSLP 6-cent Certification Menu Worksheet, food production records*, Competitive Foods Worksheet that includes a la carte information and vended items (unless they are the same throughout the district), Nutrition Education and Physical Education/Activity Worksheets, School Wellness Policy Worksheet, a copy of each school's wellness policy (unless it is a district wellness policy), and Other Criteria for Excellence Checklist.
*Not required for Bronze level.