HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms Application (revised 9/16/14)
Schools, school districts, and residential child care institutions (RCCI's) applying for the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms (HUSSC: SL) on or after August 31, 2014, must apply using the HUSSC: SL 2014 Criteria and Application.
Tips for Completing Application:
- You can submit your application two ways:
- Submit the application and supporting documentation in a 3-ring binder to your State Child Nutrition Agency.
- Submit the application and supporting documentation electronically.
- When more space is needed to accommodate for additional days of the week or to provide more information, schools and residential child care institutions (RCCI's) can attach additional pages as needed.
- Multiple schools can apply under the same district application when all of the following apply:
- The same nutrition education, physical education, and physical activities are provided or offered (according to the grade level).
- The same Smart Snacks foods and beverages were sold throughout the cafeteria and/or school campus. Submit:
- One Smart Snacks Worksheet with a listing of foods available, and
- One set of supporting documentation.
- Each individual school follows the district's wellness policy.
In addition, each school within the District must submit a Smarter Lunchroom Self-Assessment Score Card, individual School Wellness Policy Worksheet (if applicable) and complete the Other Criteria for Excellence Checklist, which are both included in the application. If a district finds that their schools has different nutrition education, physical education, physical activities, competitive foods, or wellness policies, they can still apply as a district, but must make note of those items that differ among the schools on the application worksheets and submit additional documentation for those schools with the district application.
Each District should submit an Application Cover Sheet reflecting the name of the District with a completed
District School List form (DOC | 20 KB).