All resources in the Education and Training Materials database are evaluated on the following criteria. For certain resources, some additional criteria apply:
- Scope of information appropriate for target audience and essential topics discussed in appropriate detail.
- Scope of information is a mix of appropriate and less than appropriate concepts.
- Scope of information is not appropriate for target audience (insufficient or excessive).
Learning Activities, Questions, or Projects
- Material includes a variety of stimulating and interesting learning experiences, questions, projects, or suggestions for further action that will involve the reader.
- Material mentions appropriate learning activities, questions, projects, and/or suggestions for further action for which the reader can follow through, but does not include them in the materials.
- Material does not mention any interactive learning activities or mentions unrealistic or inappropriate learning experiences, questions, projects, or suggestions for further action.
- Racial, ethnic, and religious groups are represented in a factual manner showing a variety of roles, occupations, and values reflective of a pluralistic society.
- Material does not include any outright negative stereotypes concerning racial, religious, or ethnic groups.
- Material includes negative stereotypes of racial, ethnic, or religious groups.
- Material geared toward special needs and interests of intended target group.
- Material written for general audience, with remarks or sections on the needs and interests of intended participants included.
- Material does not consider the special needs and interests of intended target group or does so in a condescending manner.
Objectivity / Sponsor Bias
- Subject matter presented objectively and fairly. No brand name promotion or obvious sponsor bias.
- Subject matter presented objectively and fairly. Company name may be mentioned but product name is not contained in text or illustrations.
- Subject matter presented in a biased manner. Brand name promotion or obvious sponsor bias is contained in text or illustrations.
- All major ideas summarized or reviewed to reinforce key concepts; summaries easily identified.
- Some major ideas summarized or reviewed; summaries not easily identified.
- No summary or review is included.