When children understand where food comes from, they are more interested in eating fruits and vegetables! Learn more about this program and how you can partner with a local farm.
Farm to School
USDA Office of Community Food Systems
Find fact sheets, webinars, videos, and more on this site.
USDA Farm to School Census
USDA. FNS. The Farm to School Census.
View results for your school district, data on farm to school programs, and learn about the benefits schools are reporting.
- Building Your Farm to School Team
- Establishing a Vision and Goals
- Sample Wellness Policy Language
- Defining Local and Finding Local Foods
- Buying Local Foods
- Menu Planning
- Food Safety
- Promoting Your Program (Posters, Calendars, and More!)
- Education and Curriculum Integration (Lesson Plans, Field Trips)
- Farm to School Bulletin Board Resources
- Connecting Schools to Farms with Cooks for Kids: Cooking Green Across America series
Institute of Child Nutrition.
Brochures, handouts, and instructional videos
- Evaluating Your Effort
- Sustaining Your Program
- Grants & Resources
- Farm to Preschool
- Farm to Summer
State Farm to School Programs and Contacts
- Fremont City Schools Celebrate Local in Everyday Menus (2016)
Ohio State University.
This story outlines the success of a district in Ohio using local poultry, produce, and more.
- Going Local: Paths to Success for Farm to School Programs (October 2015) (PDF | 5.7 MB)
California Farm to School Network.
This case study highlights the impact a robust wellness policy can have in a community.
- Growing Farm to School: Results from the Idaho Farm to School Pilot (2011) (PDF | 994 KB)
Idaho State Department of Agriculture; Idaho State Department of Education.
Overview of the pilot program that asked schools to serve local food twice a week during one month of the school year, serve local food at least once a month, use marketing materials, and provide agriculture education to teachers.
- Delivering More: Scaling Up Farm to School Programs (March 2010) (PDF | 1.1 MB)
Community Food Security Coalition.
Includes four case studies of farm to school strategic planning.
- Detroit Public Schools Garden to Cafeteria Program Video (2015)
Michigan State University, Center for Regional Food Systems.
Learn about Detroit Public Schools' extensive garden to cafeteria program as part of their Farm to School efforts.
- Farm to Fulton High School Video (2015)
Missouri Department of Education.
Hear how Food and Nutrition Service Directors in Missouri are supporting their local community and improving the health of children through farm to school programs.
- A School District Unites Around Food Video (2011)
This video showcases Salem-Keizer School District in Oregon, where 40,000 students are eating healthier, local food and learning in school gardens, cafeterias, and classrooms.